Saturday, January 17, 2009

End of 2nd week as Vegetarian

Its been 2 weeks since I started vegetarianism and it is actually not hard at all. I don't feel deprivation nor lack of choices. Choices of food are so much simpler also. Just find something without meat whenever I step into a dining place. It will even spark your creativity as you start to think of ways to make dishes without meat and make it taste better than with meat. Yesterday I had tried making a vegetarian Ba Gu Teh and Niki was so pleased with the dish. Next dish on my list is Vegetarian green curry ^o^

Just within 2 weeks, I can even see positive changes happening to me and my family. First thing which is noticeable is the increased amount of vegetables my parents are taking nowadays. In the past, we will normally have 2 meat dishes and 1 vegetable. But now, we have 2 vegetables and a small portion of meat on the dining table. In my action to change my diet, I had also influenced them to eat healthier too. Interesting isn't it?

Secondly, I found out that my awareness is getting stronger. As you can see from my past blog, I did not force my parents to cook vegetarian food for me. So normally, they will continue to cook the normal dishes with meat and I will just avoid the meat. One day we had fish head curry for dinner. They had prepared lots of vegetables in the curry for me. When I started to have the vegetables from that curry, I smell a very strong stench from the curry. Apparently, this has been the similar smell that I had been taking all along when I have fish head curry. It is the strong seafood stench. The only difference is that in the past I had convinced myself that enduring and ignoring the stench is the right thing to do. Which I had been doing so many times that I had subconsciously accept the smell the way it is. However, when I start to listen to my senses, it is just feels not right and overpowering for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment