Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When Bad isn't Bad

How bad is bad? Is bad really bad? How do you define bad? What is bad? Interestingly, I had this thought recurring in my head while I was swimming today.

We often associate bad with something that is poor or negative. He is a bad performer. She is a bad singer. He is a bad speaker. There are lots of things that I am bad at now. Basketball, soccer, drawing, playing guitar, dancing... Errr I better stop here.... I have too much to list and I don't want to get finger clamps.

The thing is, whenever people think that they are bad at something, they will normally avoid it. Often they had only tried once and then self-proclaimed that "Damn! I am bad at this." Then you will not see them doing it ever again. If you ask someone to dance, draw, paint or give a speech on stage, the respond will be most likely be, "No, I am bad at it."  I know because I am a member too (still mustering the courage to try more and more things I am bad at).

Why is it that way? Through reflection, I realized that when we defined ourselves as bad in something, we are normally saying that we are stupid in it or I looked like an idiot doing it. Ego wants to protect itself at all cost. We have very negative association with the term 'bad'. The truth is, bad is not necessary that bad.

Being bad in something actually only mean that we lack practice not talent. It is not saying that there is something wrong with your IQ. Will you laugh at a baby for being bad at talking when the only word that she can only say is MmmMmmaaaMaamaaa. Will you despise a toddler for being bad at walking if he continuously falls over while learning how to move his legs? No? Then why are we doing it to ourselves then? Doing it to each of our very own fragile and sensitive inner child. We ain't stupid. We are just not skilled enough that's all. Thank God that in those days I do not think as much as I do now. Or else, I will not even know how to speak or walk now! I may be thinking, "Oh what the heck, I suck in this! I never going to do it again!" Hallelujah......*Head bowed, thanking from the deepest of my heart* Whew...Even though I am still bad at English now... BUT! It is just due to lack of training and listening. I can improve. There is nothing wrong with my brain. ^_^

We all started out being bad in whatever we do. I started from sinking and paddling like a dog until being able to swim 20 laps non-stop today. It just takes time and repetitions. Secretly, I can even consider myself as an artist now. Just a bad artist that's all. Well at least I am an artist! :OP

So don't be afraid to be bad at anything. Start trying what you are bad at today. You may love it just as I love learning new language and martial arts now (I always considered myself to slow and stupid to learn any of those). Like a baby, we all started doing badly. And like a baby, we should all have fun. So please protect your inner child. ^_^

Have lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment